– Nick returns home in hiding and finds out that Cedric is slowly dying from intoxication.
– Nick receives Zee’s letters from Ichor and carries those with him since then.
– He still has his organic heart inside his body, but it looks withered up and miserable, and Nick feels like he’s unable to love anyone anymore.
– His depression strikes again, and in another suicide attempt he goes to the forest and falls asleep in a poppy patch. But the poppies’ effect isn’t as strong there as in the Mellow Meadows, so he doesn’t die, just spends several years in slumber and rust.
– Cedric dies from intoxication in loneliness and poverty and tries to keep joking about it until the very end.